Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 11 - Guilty Pleasures


Last week I took part in my first twitter party! (If you have no idea what a twitter party is then go HERE to find out!) It was actually a lot of fun chatting with other people and hearing what they had to say. The one I took part in was geared to moms and had questions such as, what is your guilty pleasure with tv? (anyone else with Grey's Anatomy?) What is your guilty pleasure with food? And there were a few more questions but honestly, I can't remember what they were! 

One of my guilty pleasures is social media. I love spending time on Facebook and Twitter. And, I know I'm not the only one who spends way too much time on them! I agree that it's nice to catch up with old friends on Facebook or find new friends on Twitter but how much time is too much? Don't look at me for the answer to that question, I have no idea! But, I'm sure that I could be spending my evenings when the kids are in bed more wisely. 

Thanks to my good friend, Google, I found some interesting statistics: 
In 2010 Canadians spent only 59% of their time socializing with friends and family face to face, talking on the phone, and eating out with friends. Twelve years earlier in 1998 Canadians spent 66% of their time socializing face to face etc. (source)

If you think about the increase in social media from 1998 to 2010 then the decrease in those numbers makes perfect sense. As I said before, I know that I spend too much time on social networks and maybe it's time for me to make a much bigger effort at meeting a friend for coffee instead of knowing how their day is going because of a Facebook status. 

My last 31 Day Challenge post was about Being Intentional with growing in your relationship with God through reading the bible and prayer. This week I've been doing a lot of thinking about being intentional with my friendships. Friendships require time and effort. Everyone needs to be able to have someone that they can talk with, whether it's in person or over the phone. I'll be the first to say that I'm not the best at calling friends to see how they're doing but I'm going to start making an effort to change that. 

 Friends come and friends go, 
   but a true friend sticks by you like family.
Proverbs 18:24 

(Have you read The Message version of the bible?)

**********

How are you doing with the 31 Day Challenge?

What are some of your guilty pleasures? (tv, social media, food, anything else?)

5 comments:

Cindy Babcock said...

I love twitter parties, but I find that they are often too fast paced for me to follow, even using hootsuite or tweetdeck.

Friendships do take time! Its one of the few good things I can say about this last year...I was able to spend time with both old and new friends. Without a car during the day, I tried to have people over while I was off work.

Darlene said...

I have struggled to read the bible the past two days, however, I still have sang worship songs and prayed a lot. I need to make the commitment to start reading again. I love spending time with friends for coffee and on the phone once in a while, however, I do spend too much time on social media, ie, Facebook also.

The Anthony Crew said...

I was using an application for the convo but I have no idea what it was. IT wasn't either of the ones you mentioned.

Friends are definitely important! :)

The Anthony Crew said...

I find the weekends a little tougher to make time to read. There's a lack of routine on weekends and I think that's why!

3 Little Monkey's said...

I agree weekends are hard. Also, being March break this week has made it even more difficult. Kids are up at 6:15am and the last one is in bed by 9:00pm. Then I tidy up, watch a little TV for down time and head up to bed. However, it's time to get back on track and start reading again.