Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Importance of becoming an Organ Donor

Today on The Ellen DeGeneres Show there was a segment about organ donation. There was a young lady that Ellen was talking with through skype who was only 20 years old and waiting for a double lung transplant. It reminded me of our wait for a liver for Bronson.

The day we found out that Bronson needed a liver transplant (read that post here) now feels surreal. Is anyone really ready to hear that their 8 week old son is in liver failure? Without my sister, Sarah Beth, being a live liver donor (liver and kidney transplants are the only organ donations where they can use a live donor) Bronson might not have made it. Bronson was only 8 weeks only when his name was placed on the waiting list for a liver. By the time he received the liver transplant we were told by the surgeon that his liver might not have lasted much longer.

Obviously, organ donation is very important to me. There's nothing bigger than being able to give someone a second chance at life. By becoming an organ donor you can save up to 8 lives, and enhance the lives of up to 75 people through tissue donation.

I really hope that everyone who reads this will put some serious thought into becoming an organ donor. On the side bar on the right side of my blog there's a link with more information about organ donation (as well as childhood cancer - check it out!) and statistics.

Organ donation is important so please consider becoming a donor!

For more information, or to become an organ donor:
In Ontario, Canada go HERE
Anywhere else in Canada go HERE 
In the United States go HERE

3 comments:

Evelyn Wilson said...

we need to have more awareness for this.. I am so glad that even though we lost Katie, 2 people have their site because of her precious blue eyes... organ donor and awareness is needed. thanks for posting this and may more people really be aware of what they can do . blessings to you guys xoxoox

Anonymous said...

I am such a believer in donating. I didn't realize though how difficult it actually is to become a donor until I went to the ministry to change my name over after my wedding. They asked if I wanted to become a donor and I said I already am, I signed the little card that comes with your license renewal. That little card doesn't actually automatically make you a donor. Our province has one of the lowest donor rates in Canada in part because it's not so easy to become one. It's something we should bring up to our MPP's to make this a much easier process. What better feeling of comfort to know that a lost loved one may have helped to save a life, or restore eyesight like your above commenter.

Angela @ The Anthony Crew said...

Becoming a donor is VERY easy.. it just depends on where you live. In Ontario, you can go to www.beadonor.ca and with your health card you can be a donor within 2 minutes! I was looking at www.organdonor.gov in the united states and you can use online there as well. It's too bad that other parts of Canada make becoming a donor so difficult because it's such a great thing to do!