Friday, January 27, 2012

Our Story

I used to have Our Story posted in a link on my main blog page but I've made some changes. I've added an "About" page and put a link to our story here instead. 

I thought I would share our story for those of you who don't know it. 

Jon and I met in 2001 at a christian camp that we were both working at. We never really got to know each other that summer because Jon had a girlfriend...that kind of put a damper on things! We lost contact for a few years and it wasn't until the spring of 2006 that we reconnected on msn and eventually began dating.

 In December of 2006 Jon proposed (by the way I said yes!) and we began planning a wedding for July 21, 2007.

Over the winter of 2006/2007 Jon began to have trouble breathing, mostly whenever he played hockey. A couple of months went by and in March 2007 he noticed spots all over his chest. He went into the ER and after an x-ray was done we were told that there was a 17cm tumor in his chest lodged between his lungs and heart. However, due to the size and location of the tumor, Jon had mild heart failure and severe respiratory distress and couldn't even walk the the end of the driveway without needing to sit.

We waited 5 weeks for Jon's biopsy appointment because the doctors, once again, told us that they didn't think it was anything serious. As soon as the doctors got the results back from the biopsy we were called into a meeting. It was exactly three months to the day from our wedding and we received the dreaded news... Jon had Stage 3B cancer. At first I had no idea what to think about the news we had just received because, when I was seven years old, my mom died of cancer and I didn't want to have to go through a similar situation. Now when I look back I have no idea how I made it through those months. Not only was Jon going through chemotherapy but, I was also finishing up my last semester of nursing school and still trying to plan a wedding.

The doctors suddenly put a rush on everything and Jon began his first round of chemo two days later. We were told that he would require four rounds of chemo followed by radiation and then surgery. But, they didn't realize that God had other plans. We were told by the doctors to cancel our wedding because there was no way that Jon would be healthy enough, let alone have the strength, to stand for the ceremony. I refused to listen to them. There was no way that a doctor was going to tell me only three months before my wedding to put it on hold and reschedule it. After the 3rd round of chemotherapy they believed they had got rid of all the cancer and no other treatments were required! No radiation and no surgery!

It's a good thing I listened to my gut feelings and went ahead with the wedding planning because Jon finished his last round of chemo exactly 3 weeks before our wedding and, although he was bald, we were able to enjoy our wedding day and then our honeymoon in Jamaica. August 2011 marked 4 years of Jon being cancer free!

Before Jon began his chemo treatments we were told that there was a very good chance we wouldn't be able to have kids, and, that we might have to look into other options.

Well, on June 21, 2009, the day before Father's Day, we found out we were going to have a baby!

On February 25, 2010, we welcomed our daughter, Kallie Dawn, into our lives!

Daddy with Kallie, only hours old.


On September 12, 2010 we celebrated Jon's birthday with a yummy chocolate cake I made. :)
Two days later we had a big surprise.. I was pregnant! Even though it was a surprise and it took some getting used to, especially since Kallie was only 7 months old, we felt blessed to be welcoming another baby into our family.

Me and Kallie (7 months old)

On May 9, 2011 we welcomed our little Bronson Michael into the world and with his birth brought us a new challenge. Bronson was born with 4S Bilateral Adrenal Neuroblastoma. In the first 2 months of live he went through chemotherapy, radiation, a ton of other medical problems and eventually liver failure. 

This was our very first family picture. It was also Kallie's first time meeting Bronson who was already 7 weeks old.

Me and Bronson in the PICU - 3 days post liver transplant.
Bronson underwent a liver transplant at 2.5 months old with the liver donor being my sister, Sarah Beth. 

Kallie meeting Bronson for the first time outside of the hospital.
On August 22, 2011, after 3.5 months of being in the hospital, we were finally able to bring Bronson home with us. That was a very happy day that I will never forget. 

Despite going to the hospital for check ups, Bronson is now a very healthy little boy. It amazes me as to how fast he can crawl and get into trouble!

 There is no way we would have made it to where we are today without our faith in God. 

Bronson is our proof that God still performs miracles.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh what a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it and your beautiful family.