Monday, November 14, 2011

My Bar Project: Before and After


A long time ago (ok, maybe not THAT long ago) around the beginning of October I wrote about the bar I painted and how I was going to post pictures soon. I'm still not 100% done painting it yet (only the bottom trim left) but because I used an oil based paint it has a very STRONG smell and since it's in my daycare playroom I don't really want to paint it during the week and have all the kids high from smelling chemicals. I don't think their parents would appreciate that!

First, I used a sander to sand the entire bar. There was a VERY thick coat of gloss on it and it took forever to sand. Then, I used Rust-Oleum Specialty Black Chalk Board paint that I bought at Home Depot and painted the entire front and side of the bar with it. For the top (and eventually the bottom trim when I get around to it) of the bar I used Trem-Clad Rust Paint Semi-gloss black. I wanted a good durable paint for the top and this one was recommended to me by the paint department associate.

I love it because I can wipe it all clean and it just looks like a normal black bar, or I can let the kids draw away on it. They really aren't the greatest pictures (blame the iphone 3G) and I don't have any pictures without chalk, but here they are regardless!

After it was sanded, but before paint!




Once the bottom trim piece is painted black it will look much better!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't know where you find the time for everything in your day! You're an inspiration and I'm slightly jealous of your energy. Lol

Angela A. said...

Thanks! But, I'm ready for bed every night by 6:30! I wish I had as much energy as you think I have! lol