Thursday, August 25, 2011

Home Sweet Home

It's been a busy, but great, week with my baby home! There really are no words to describe how wonderful it is to have Bronson home!

It's great being able to begin a normal daily routine. Ours might be a little bit of a different routine that consists of medications, a daily IV infusion, Bronson pulling his NG tube out, normal baby stuff, cleaning and other household things. I'm really thankful for my nursing background because I'm sure everything would have been a lot more overwhelming without it.

Bronson will have to be seen at Sick Kids at least once every two weeks until mid October and then the visits should start to decrease. We had to go up today for blood work, but going up for an hour or two here and there is nothing compared to the time I have spent up there in the last 3.5 months.

Bronson has only been home for three full days but I've already noticed him starting to catch up developmentally. Due to how sick he was and being in a hospital for so long he is a little behind but we're working on it. His neck muscles are getting better and he's starting to be able to hold his head up a little longer everyday. I've really been working on trying to get him to take all of his feeds by bottle, instead of him bottle feeding and then giving the rest by NG tube. So far, yesterday and today, I've only had to top up his feeds by NG tube once! At the beginning of the week I had to give the remaining milk by NG tube after every feed... so it's progress! I'd love for his NG tube to be able to come out but one of his medications has to be given through it because it's such a large volume of fluid (almost a 1/4 of each feed). But, hopefully in a month or so he'll be able to tolerate larger volumes of fluid and it will be able to come out for good!

I really can't express how great of a week this has been! I think all week I've been smiling non-stop!  I love our family all being under the same roof!

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation."
- Psalm 91:14-16

No comments: