Today is the big day of the liver transplant. I will post updates of how Sarah Beth and Bronson are doing throughout the day. I'll just keep adding to this post instead of starting a new one each time.
7:55am - Sarah Beth was wheeled into the OR. We won't have an update of how she's doing until 10-11am ish.
8:50am - Bronson is hanging out in his bed waiting to be taken down to the OR. I was told he'd go down somewhere between 9-10am.
10am - SB's surgery was officially started at 9am and everything is going as planned.
10:30am - Bronson was taken into the OR to be prepped. They won't start opening him up until they hear from Toronto General that SB's liver piece has been cut.
1:15pm - No updates yet for Bronson or SB. No updates is probably a good thing though because that should mean SB's liver is ok to use (there was still a 5% chance that once she was opened up they would find a problem and not be able to continue) and they should be getting ready to take Bronson's liver out. My parents are over at Toronto General waiting to hear about SB and Jon and I are at Sick Kids waiting. Thank goodness for texting between hospitals to hear how they're both doing!!
3:00pm - Sick Kids OR called out to the waiting room and so far everything is going good with Bronson. I heard that there was a delay due to an emergency elsewhere in the hospital so Bronson's surgery didn't start until 1p So he probably won't be out of surgery until 10-11pm tonight. I hope it's a little earlier than that though!
3:30pm - SB's surgery is completed. They are just doing an Xray and then closing her up and taking her to the recovery room. The dr said everything went as planned with no complications
5:00pm - Bronson is still in surgery but everything is "good". My aunt came by to visit which was a good distraction from thinking about surgery. I just asked a volunteer to see if she could find out a time estimate
for me and all she said was that it's scheduled until 7pm. So I hope that's an accurate timeframe. I really
hope it doesn't go longer!
7:55pm - A surgical nurse just came and told us that everything is still "good" and if we don't hear any updates in two hours to call into the OR. So, looks like we still have a long night...
10:15pm - the surgeon just came out to tell us Bronson is out of surgery and it went very well! If the liver piece was too big they would have had to leave the incision open and close it later but because of how big his abdomen was pre-surgery it made room for the new liver and they were able to close the incision. There was also a chance that he would have to have his spleen removed and then be on penicillin for the rest of his life but they were able to leave it in! The Toronto General told my parents that SB's liver was abnormally long and slender which made it a perfect size for Bronson. Also, the surgeon told me normally if a potential donor has had a tattoo within a year they won't use the liver. But, they did blood work 3 times and everything was ok and so they made an exception for SB. Bronson is in the process of being moved to the ICU and in an hour we'll be able to see him. We're so happy that everything went so well!
My parents went to see SB around 8pm and she was awake, drowsy and VERY nauseous. However, she was with it enough to ask if she could put her finger up her nose. When asked why she wanted to do that she said because it was itchy! So, despite her nauseousness she's still herself!
As of right now SB and Bronson have no complications and are doing alright after their big surgeries! I'll post another update tomorrow.