Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Birthday Wish

Priorities are a funny thing. They seem to change as you go through each stage of life. Today is my 26th birthday and I spent it up at the hospital with my little Bronson. Two years ago for my birthday I'm sure all I wanted were shoes and clothes, last year I wanted a jogging stroller, and this year all I wanted for my birthday was for Bronson to be cancer free and home with us. I really don't care that I spent my birthday at the hospital all day today because I was lucky enough to be able to see my little guy be the most alert and awake he's been since he was a couple days old. Being able to look into his eyes and have him look back at me was the best feeling ever. Even though I still can't hold him I can touch him and, today, see his eyes open and looking around at everything.

I may not have got my birthday wish for Bronson to be cancer free or home with us but he did make some progress today! Over night Bronson started losing a lot of the fluid he's been retaining! This morning the nurse saw him kicking like mad at something and by the time she got to him he somehow wrapped his foot or toes around his catheter and pulled it out himself! I guess he had enough of it! The good news is that so far he hasn't had any problems peeing! In fact he had such good output  today that now they're watching that he doesn't lose too much fluid all at once because that could cause other problems! Bronson seems to have a mind of his own and do things all or nothing!

The nephrologist and oncologist came by to see Bronson today and seemed to be pretty happy with how he was doing. His breathing was a little bit better and the respiratory therapist was planning to start weaning him off the ventilation support a little bit at a time. He still has an infection and his WBC count is still VERY low so we still need that to get better... and soon!

At the beginning of Bronson's stay in the NICU he received his very first hair cut, compliments of the NICU nurses. It's not the most fashionable haircut because the nurse was more concerned about getting a spot for an IV than what it looked like so it's a little patchy! However, due to his chemo he started losing some of his hair yesterday. It might be a big deal to some people that their child's hair is falling out but I figure it's better to be bald everywhere than have small patches of hair missing! At least his hair will all grow back evenly and he won't have a mullet! :)

I still can't get over what a great feeling it was to see Bronson awake and alert for so long today. I usually talk to him throughout the day but his eyes are always closed. Being able to see his eyes and interact a little more with him made my day more special. I love my little boy so much and I can't wait for the day to be able to leave the hospital with a car seat carrying Bronson.

All said and done it was a good day! :)

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Happy Birthday Angela! So happy that Bronson was more alert and you were able to spend time with him when he was awake. It is wonderful to hear that your little man is making progress. We will keep praying for him.

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Praying that God reaches down and touches sweet Bronson with His healing Hand! May the sweet Holy Spirit give you and your husband peace and comfort as you depend upon Him.

AnnaMarie said...

What a wonderful gift on your b-day to see him alert and eyes open...absolutely lifting your sweet baby up in prayer and asking Him to hold your entire family tight in His embrace.